BREAD PROJECT: #2- FRENCH BREAD

Sunday, January 13, 2013

I asked hubby to pick this weeks bread and this is what he picked.

The addition of the water in the bottom of the oven creates steam, which gives the bread a crisp crust.

FRENCH BREAD

Ingredients

465g All Purpose Flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 fast action dried yeast
300ml hand hot water

Method

1. Combine the flours, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.  Add the water and mix to a soft dough.
2. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.  Cover and prove in a warm place until doubled in size.
3. Divide dough into 2 long rolls and place on a baking sheet.  Cover and prove until doubled in size.
4. Pre heat the oven to 220 C/425 F.  Place a large, shallow dish in the bottom of the oven and half fill with boiling water.  Be careful now when opening the oven as a rush of hot steam with shoot out straight away- just stand back till it has gone. 
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.


Once baked there was really only one thing to fill this long delightful loaf with......
 
Recipe taken from Womens' Institute: Bread

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. That looks delicious Elyse! Would you interested in "guest posting" this venture on my blog? It would mean more exposure for your Bread Project and would give me some awesome content every Monday.
    Basically, all I would need is a brief introduction,(which could be reused each week), plus the content as you have it here, minus the recipe, sent to me. Of course there would be a direct link back to your blog and the actual recipe.

    I understand either way Elyse :)

    Here is the link to my website if you would like to look around, as well as my e-mail if you have any questions.

    http://oldermommystillyummy.com
    monica.parlee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have sent you an email- that would be fab, very excited to work with you.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! Where can I find the link to your other bread posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look under The Cooking and Making tab at the top of the blog all of the breads will be listed there.

      Delete
  3. Approximately how long does it take to double the size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About an hour in my house but it all depends on the temp of your warm place. If there are no sunny spots I pop them in the oven and ask it to warm to the lowest temp possible and turn it off when it heats to just over 100 F. Just leave the door shut and check after about an hour. Be careful not to heat the oven too high as you kill off the yeast and it will not rise.

      Delete

Tell me what you're thinking, I promise I don't bite!